Remember our challenge this summer is to LOOK TO CHRIST, our goal is the JOY SET BEFORE US, and now we’re going to talk about HINDRANCES that keep us away from our Bibles.
1) I don’t have TIME: reading 4 chapters takes about 15 minutes a day
what-ever-book-you’re-on-and-go journaling Bibles.
3) I have DIFFICULTY reading: the Same Page Summer reading plan will be available on the free
YouVersion Bible App which has an audio feature that will read for you while you drive, walk, or work around
the house. You can even play it aloud for the whole family to hear!
4) I can’t CONCENTRATE on long readings: To help keep our focus on Christ I’m going to give you a theme or
idea to highlight or listen for in each book.
5) I don’t UNDERSTAND the Bible: Psalm 19:7 says that God’s Word makes even the simple, wise. When God
gives you a new heart, He also gives you a new mind. 1 Cor. 2:16 says that if the Holy Spirit is in you, then
you have the mind of Christ with which you can discern spiritual truths! This doesn’t happen instantly. It
happens over a life time of spending time in His Word and with His people. God put other believers into your
life to sharpen you! So ask questions when you read something you don’t understand! If your husband is a
believer, ask him first (1 Cor. 14:35). We’ll also have a discussion forum where you can ask questions.
6) I always fall BEHIND: If you miss breakfast do you ever give up on lunch and dinner because you’re behind
on your meal plan? Why do we do that with our spiritual food? The point of the Bible Reading Challenge isn’t
to check off all the boxes, it’s to set your eyes on Christ and be fed by every word that proceeds from His
mouth. This isn’t a diet, it’s a feast. So there’s no messing up! If you miss any readings just jump in on the
7) I’m a MOM: Moms with littles in the house rarely experience the luxury of what is known as the “Daily
Personal Quiet Time.” The Bible Reading Challenge is designed to help you throw off idolatrous visions of
coffee shop tables strewn with journals and gel pens. We all know that’s not going to happen on a daily
basis. This is a moving feast. It goes where you go. It feeds you where you are. Click here to read a blog post
I wrote to encourage you moms.
8) I feel GUILTY when I read the Bible: This last one keeps us out of the Word more than we’d care to admit.
The law acts as a mirror, exposing us to our sin. This is and should be very uncomfortable. But it shouldn’t
keep us from reading our Bibles. Remember, we’re looking to Christ. And because He is the perfect
fulfillment of the law, yes, we will by all means see clearly where we have failed. But we will also see how
freely He forgives, how fully He restores, and how faithfully He works in us for HIs glory and our good.
I’m sure there are more hindrances you could add to this list, but this summer we’re throwing all those aside and together, “looking Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2
To the Word, ladies! We start in 2 weeks.
Looking to Christ –together,