The Purpose: To wash our souls weekly with the stunning truth of the Gospel as revealed through the entire scope of scripture and proclaimed through the works of God’s hands.
- Nearly 200 hundred passages of scripture covered in 31 weeks, all of which pertain to some aspect of the heavens. There are links to the on-line ESV Bible for each passage.
- Discussion questions to go along with each passage. Some of these are simple enough for the smallest child to answer and some are literally the questions I was left scratching my own head over and can’t seem to figure out myself 🙂
- A weekly devotional that examines a common theme found in that weeks passages.
- 2 hymns or Psalms (or 1 of each) to sing together during the week. There are links to a video attached to each one in case they are unfamiliar to you. Like the scripture passages, the song selections pertain to our astronomy theme and draw from the whole scope of historic sacred music.
- Monday: Introduce the memory verse and the songs. You can also read the devo or save it for the weekend after you’ve covered all the passages.
- Tuesday-Friday: Review the memory verse, read that day’s passage, discuss the questions and sing 1 or both of the songs.
- Weekend: Read the devo if you’ve saved it for later and recite the memory verse. Reward the memorizers with a Starburst candy or mini Milky Way bar 🙂
The Prayer: Psalm 119:18. “Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.” Pray this together as a family. Every. Day. Psalm 119:30 promises that, “The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.” Furthermore, Romans 1:16 proclaims that the gospel itself is “the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.” And Ephesians 5:26 says that the washing of the Word is the means Christ uses to sanctify His church. If THAT’S not motivation to dive into the Bible, I don’t know what is!